[lbo-talk] Gallup on Katrina reax: heads still wedged

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Sep 8 07:23:13 PDT 2005

Let's take a more global perspective on this.

-clip-

So if we were to take your suggestion of not giving up the hope - we should be true to the Left tradition of internationalism and universalism. That means embracing globalization rather than fighting it to protect the institutional status quo of the United States. We should write the United States off, abandon the US-centric thinking (whose Left version is "the US is singularly and exceptionally bad") and take a truly global perspective.

Wojtek

^^^^^ CB: My perspective of revolution in the U.S. is internationalist. The best thing U.S.ers could do for the rest of the world would be to overthrow U.S. capitalism. We shouldn't embrace "globalization" as that is pop term for imperialism. We should embrace _proletarian_ internationalism. The task for U.S. progressives in that is to center and focus on the U.S. We shouldn't "center" on anybody else but our own system,and thinking how to change it.

Besides that ,the U.S. _is_ singularly and exceptionally bad. It is the center of imperialism-2005. Pretending that the U.S. is not especially bad is against the best interests of the other 94% of the world's people. Because the U.S. is the center of imperialism today ,we can do the rest of the world the "biggest" favor by changing it.

Bring the troops home, right now !