[lbo-talk] Gallup on Katrina reax: heads still wedged

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 8 07:52:10 PDT 2005

Dwayne:
> It would be unwise to "write off" the US because, to state it clearly,
> the US has the ability to destroy civilization. All those nuclear
> warheads, all that materiel, all those angry people...this is not the
> sort of pot you allow to boil without very careful monitoring.
>
> The world cannot happily, and in peace, pursue whatever more-just order
> might evolve without the participation of the US because the US retains
> the ability to wreck it. So she's either in with the rest or the global
> project will fail. This isn't "US-centric thinking", any more than
> paying special attention to the bastard pointing a gun at your head is
> bastard-centric thinking.

It is hard to argue with that, albeit Russia is still having the same potential, yet that does not keep many from messing up with her or "writing her off." I think that the role of the United States in the world, while obviously important, tends to be grossly overrated by the US-centric media. Ironically, the same attitude is echoed, albeit with reversed polarity, on the Left.

What I had in mind was greater focus on the world and aiding progressive struggles there - especially those have a chance of success. Things are pretty rotten here, and after the total collapse of the Democratic Party, they are getting worse by the hour. I am afraid they will get much worse before they start getting any better - which may not even happen in my life time. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that of the oncoming locomotive (sorry, Jordan, I cannot get those trains out of my system:)) hauling more Republican Sturmabteilung to action. So the choice is between despair, delusion, or diversion to the rest of the world. The last option seems better for keeping one's sanity than the other.

Wojtek