[lbo-talk] Race cleansing in New Orleans

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 11:36:44 PDT 2005

On Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:41 AM [PDT], Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://homepages.stmartin.edu/fac_staff/dprice/AAA99-abst.htm
> Abstract: The FBI and Oscar Lewis: Political Surveillance and the
> Dangers of the Culture of Poverty
>

> The following are some of the cultural rules unique to poverty:
> While criteria for middle class decisions often relate to work and
> achievement, generational poverty class decisions are often based on
> the importance of one's personality to sustain multiple relationships.

NOT like being a corporate hack, right? Equivalence, where's the equivalence?

> Time occurs in the present moment and future implications are seldom
> considered; being proactive, setting goals and planning ahead are not
> a part of generational poverty's culture.

Bullshit.

> Extra money is shared among an individual's support system rather than
> using the extra money to "get ahead". From a poverty perspective, a
> person will never "get ahead" so it is important to share fortune with
> others to ensure one will be assisted in a time of need.

>From a not "impoverished" perspective of the "impoverished" perhaps.
The people being considered impoverished would tell you this is bullshit.

He's projecting the "American virtue" of "ME FIRST", and claims the poor are more susceptible to acting this way, except it's ostensibly disguised as generosity.

Absolute utter bullshit bordering on racism if applied to an individual ethnic group.

> A male's identity is often tied to being a lover and fighter while a
> "good" woman is expected to take care of her man and children.

*I hear negros and hippies have big dicks too.* We have come for your daughters! Booga booga boooga!

Who stays home to do the housework in that clean, well lit home on Leave it to Beaver?

In poor homes, the male is often absent entirely for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the availability of medical insurance from AFDC/Medicaid for the children.

Bullshit.... and more bullshit.

> For many in generational poverty, jail is a part of life; unlike the
> middle class, a lack of resources means a lack of resources to avoid
> jail.

Because the middle class(absolutely incorrect label), Middle America believes this is true, and they make it so, through the machinations of government policy, law making, and regulation.

The Barbarian hordes are at the gate!

> This list is by no means complete. So please share your views.

OK, if you insist:

1> Amusing, this fellow has similar beliefs (and undoubtedly moral values) similar to those FBI agents that followed him for all those years. middle class apple pie.

2> The rest was also BS, and redacted for brevity.

Leigh www.leighm.net