[lbo-talk] Race cleansing in New Orleans

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 8 12:36:16 PDT 2005

Michael P:
> As expected, your reaction, Leigh
> Oscar Lewis, man of the Left, gets slammed as neo-con.
> Betcha never heard of Lewis before and are venting your ignorance.

I do not think it gives justice to what you are attacking. This is not about explanation or refutation, being informed or uniformed, or the truth function. This is not even about Left of Right or any particular political philosophy at all. This is all about appeal to the populace by scapegoating - a blame game to attract popular support. The object of the game is to place the blame for the plight of a target group on some hated scapegoat - the Orwellian minute of hate if you will. Stalinists and Maoists were quite good at that by witch-hunting for foreign agents everywhere, but McCarthyites and Bushies are not far behind. The "lefty" version of that game is blaming "the man."

The beauty of this blame game is that, like witch hunting -it is a "gut feeling" that makes people feel good about themselves, absolves them of any critical thinking and self-examination, and thus cannot or need not be rationally refuted. Any attempt at a scientific explanation of the plight is a grave threat to that blame game because it introduces the prospect of its refutation and with is, the need for shedding that good feeling about oneself. Therefore any such attempt is fiercely and irrationally resisted, even if it comes from one's own political camp and is well intentioned to help the situation.

People love their self-serving delusions and will go to great lengths to maintain them.

Wojtek