[lbo-talk] America outsources homework help to India

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:05:00 PDT 2005

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/07/business/tutors.php

Latest in outsourcing: Homework By Saritha Rai The New York Times

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2005 COCHIN, India A few minutes before 7 on a recent morning, Greeshma Salin swiveled her chair to face the computer, slipped on her headset and said in faintly accented English, "Hello, Daniela." Seconds later she heard the response, "Hello, Greeshma."

The two chatted excitedly before Salin said, "We'll work on pronouns today." Then she typed in, "Daniela thinks that Daniela should give Daniela's horse Scarlett to Daniela's sister."

"Is this an awkward sentence?" she asked. "How can you make it better?"

Nothing unusual about this exchange except that Salin, 22, was in Cochin, a city in coastal southern India, and her student, Daniela Marinaro, 13, was at her home in Malibu, California.

Salin is part of a new wave of outsourcing to India: the tutoring of American students. Twice a week for a month, Salin, who grew up speaking an Indian language, Malayalam, at home, has been tutoring Daniela in English grammar, comprehension and writing.

Using a simulated whiteboard on a computer connected with Daniela's by the Internet and with a copy of Daniela's textbook in front of her, she guides the teenager through the intricacies of nouns, adjectives and verbs.

Daniela said, "I get C's in English and I want to score A's." She added that she had given no thought to her tutor's being 20,000 miles, or 32,000 kilometers, away, other than that the situation had felt "a bit strange in the beginning."

She and her sister, Serena, 10, are just two of the 350 Americans enrolled in Growing Stars, an online tutoring service that is based in Fremont, California, but whose 38 teachers are all in Cochin. They offer tutoring in mathematics and science, and recently in English, to students in Grades 3 to 12.

Five days each week, at 4:30 a.m. in Cochin, the teachers log on to their computers just as students in the United States settle down to their books and homework in the late afternoon.

Growing Stars is one of at least a half-dozen companies across India that are helping American children complete their homework and prepare for tests.

As in other types of outsourcing, the driving factor in "homework outsourcing," as the practice is known, is the cost. Companies like Growing Stars and Career Launcher India in New Delhi charge American students $20 an hour for personal tutoring, compared with $50 or more charged by their American counterparts.

Growing Stars pays its teachers a monthly salary of 10,000 rupees, or $230, twice what they would earn in entry-level jobs at local schools.

Critics have raised concern about the quality of the instruction.

"Online tutoring is not closely regulated or monitored," said Rob Weil, deputy director of the educational issues department at the American Federation of Teachers. "There are few industry standards."

Quality becomes a trickier issue with overseas tutoring because monitoring is harder, said Boria Sax, director of research, development and training for the online offerings of Mercy College, based in Dobbs Ferry, New York.

Growing Stars is rapidly expanding to accommodate students from the East Coast of the United States, as well as Canada, Great Britain and Australia.

Its recruits, mostly with recent postgraduate and teaching degrees, already have deep subject knowledge. They must go through two weeks of training on techniques, culture and accent.

"They learn to use 'eraser' instead of its Indian equivalent, 'rubber,' and understand that 'I need a pit stop' could mean 'I need to go to the loo,"' said Saji Philip, a software entrepreneur of Indian origin and the chairman and co-founder of Growing Stars, who works in New Jersey.

Still, the cultural divide is real. In Cochin, Leela Bai Nair, 48, a former teacher who has 23 years of experience and is an academic trainer for Growing Stars, said she had been "floored at first when 10-year-old American students addressed me as Leela. All my teaching life in India, my students addressed me as Ma'am," she said.

That same morning in Cochin, an English teacher, Anya Tharakan, 24, directed her student away from the subject of video games to concentrate on a passage from "Alice in Wonderland," enlivening the lessons with puzzles.

Thomas Marinaro, a chiropractor in Los Angeles and the father of Daniela and Serena, had been unhappy with the face-to-face tutoring he previously arranged for his daughters at home. After three months with Growing Stars, however, Marinaro said the girls' mathematics skills were already much improved. As a bonus, the program cost a third of what he paid the home tutor.

Biju Mathew, an Indian-born software engineer, set up Growing Stars after moving to Silicon Valley five years ago to work for a technology start-up company. In India, he had been paying $10 a month for twice-a-week tutoring sessions for his children.

In the United States, he found, a similar service could cost $50 or more per hour. The idea of homework outsourcing was born, and the company began offering its services in January 2004.

Growing Stars has been cautious, offering its students a choice of U.S.- or India-based tutors for English. It charges a $10 premium above its normal $20 rate for students who choose tutors in the United States. When parents have expressed concern over a tutor's accent, the firm has offered a change of instructor.

Other online tutoring firms in the United States adopt varied approaches. Tutor.com, for instance, uses only tutors based in North America. SmarThinking of Washington has tutors in the United States but also has instructors in South Africa, the Philippines, India and Chile. But only those in the United States provide English lessons.

Philip said his company's work would help make Americans more competitive.

"Offshore tutoring," he said, "is a step toward ensuring that we are not always beaten in competition against Japanese carmakers, Indian software firms and Chinese manufacturers."