[lbo-talk] Chavez to Speak in NYC's Riverside Church on Sep. 16th

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Sep 9 03:08:08 PDT 2005

John Thornton wrote:

> Maybe I need to brush up on recent posts by Pugliese but what would give
> one the idea he favors any harm
> coming to Chavez let alone that he would be willing to do such a thing.
> Does MP have it out for Chavez?

Re:

------------------------------------- Amen. I mostly don't agree with MP's views on Chavez, Lenin or Cuba, but is criticism - even sharp criticism - of any or all of the foregoing forbidden on the left? It's become a cliche, but we ought to be able to defend our positions without resorting to personal attack, especially those amalgams which place an opponent in the enemy camp in the same way critics of Stalinism were once denounced as being in league with the fascists. It's not a matter of "tolerating" dissenting opinions; we NEED people like like Micheal, Wojtek and others who test our long-standing assumptions. Bet a large part of the list believes this too.