[lbo-talk] Chavez to Speak in NYC's Riverside Church on Sep. 16th

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 06:09:06 PDT 2005

Marvin Gandall writes of red-baiter Pugliese:

> It's become a cliche, but we ought to be able to defend
> our positions without resorting to personal attack
> especially those amalgams which place an opponent in
> the enemy camp

Marvin, you give Pugliese too much of the benefit of the doubt. What you say would be true if he were at all honest or if he ever said anything even remotely interesting. In this case, he's the one who's guilty of precisely the polemical crimes you criticize. He calls members of a black church "useful idiots" for hosting the democratically-elected president of Venezuela.

Wojtek -- despite his relentless and often tiresome misanthropy -- is at least interesting and honest. Michael Pugliese writes the stuff he writes without any consideration of the consequences, because he does not think that any form of political truth or argument is all that important anyway. It's just a game for him. And it's a game that he appears to play solely online, and then only when he's drunk or high -- which is admittedly most of the time.