[lbo-talk] Reflections on the Efficient Market Hypothesis

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 9 11:50:38 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> > Reflections on the Efficient Market
> > Hypothesis: 30 Years Later
> > Burton G. Malkiel∗
> > Princeton University
>
>Beware! What he seems to be advocating is the full information dogma, which
>is perhaps the most insidious form of market absolutism: we do not need
>institutions (i.e. mutual funds and their managers) whose chief role is to
>overcome imperfect information - markets in fact contain the perfect
>information and thus can regulate themselves.

I wasn't sure whether he supports the strong or semistrong form of the EMH. If "the full information dogma" is equivalent to the strong form of the EMH, then such an advocate would say that no money can be made on insider information and, supposedly, no regulation is necessary.

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.