[lbo-talk] Re: cuba hurricane numbers: two sources

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Fri Sep 9 13:17:27 PDT 2005

that cuba does an infinitely superior job at protecting life shouldn't be an argument...but the numbers that are flying around are making me dizzy...there is a difference between these two items...the first was not only here, but all over the place and led me to even use those figures, despite my wondering at the source...

i can't vouch for the complete accuracy of the second source, either, but it sounds less breathless and inflated...

mayve we should all be more careful?

fs

1: Although Cuba is in the main path of most Caribbean hurricanes, it has suffered less than 10 deaths in the last 20 years.

The Two Americas By Marjorie Cohn t r u t h o u t | Perspective Saturday 03 September 2005 Last September, a Category 5 hurricane battered the small island of Cuba with 160-mile-per-hour winds. More than 1.5 million Cubans were evacuated to higher ground ahead of the storm. Although the hurricane destroyed 20,000 houses, no one died.

2:http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2005/septiembre/mart6/37consec-i.html

The same kinds of mobilizations took place in 2004 and 2005 for two devastating hurricanes, Ivan and Denns. Dennis caused $1 billion in destruction, demolished 70,000 homes, and even razed entire mountaintops, but only 16 lives were lost. Cuba, a poor Third World nation with a 45-year economic embargo against it, does what the richest imperial nation in the world cannot, because of its very nature. Capitalism puts profits first. The Revolution puts lives first.