[lbo-talk] Charges? We Don't Need No Stinking Charges

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Sep 9 18:50:54 PDT 2005

> The 4th Circuit ruled that the US govt can keep Jose
> Padilla, an American citizen it alleges to have been
> involved in terrorist activity, in jail indefinitely.

I'm not a lawyer, but since this was posted by one, I'm curious about what the lbo-talk legal contingent thinks of this ruling. From what I read, the above summary is not at all correct; what they ruled was that it was lawful to do, because Congress passed a law supporting this kind of behavior. They didn't seem to make any kind of statement about whether they thought it was a good idea or not: they just said, in plain language I might add, that this is exactly covered by a law.

They seemed to liken it to someone asking whether it was okay to give tickets for speeding, and well, yes, it's against the law to speed, so sure!

Discuss.