[lbo-talk] Private Hate Mail Gang Up

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Sep 9 19:04:31 PDT 2005

> As a result of posting a simple meeting for Hugo Chavez, I
> have received a series of verbally abusing private messages
> in my e-mail box by [...] and J M Hayes.

Oh, grow up. I sent you an offlist message asking if you had noticed that the very long message you posted from "t r u t h o u t" (NOT the Chavez thing) had been posted in its entirety two times before you did (you, uh, did not). That's not hate-mail (it wasn't even abusive!), that's frustration at everyone who posts multiple copies of huge messages to an already enormously popular list.

And frankly, I sent it offlist to save you PUBLIC HUMILIATION. Well, no more Mr. Nice Guy :-)

But now that you bring it up, if you can't be bothered to track whether or not something that big has been posted in the previous few days (hey, I know: everyone is busy), you don't deserve to not have your "private space invaded" (oh, puhleeze). In the future, think about your fellow listmembers a bit before forwarding huge redundant messages. Every single message posted gives a pointer to the archives where you can easily search the archives to see if it was already there; there's simply no excuse for being that lazy. It's especially anti-social to forward something that big WITHOUT COMMENT. At least take the opportunity to see if people are ALREADY TALKING ABOUT IT and put your two sense in. Ha ha.

> I'd still like to suggest the owner to protect the private e-mail
> addresses of the members (as other lists do) so as to minimize
> the unwelcome concerted incursions of aggressive zealots.

Feel free to post anonymously if that makes you feel better (you're practically anonymous already, using some pseudonym, but at least we know who to direct responses to), or start (another?) new 'persona' as several members of the list already do. The solution is not to make the whole thing anonymous -- many of us (starting with Doug!) aren't afraid of owning our words.

Bleah,

/jordan (server-and-archive-mom)