[lbo-talk] Private Hate Mail Gang Up

ravi lbo at kreise.org
Fri Sep 9 19:33:24 PDT 2005

Cseniornyc at aol.com wrote:
> As a result of posting a simple meeting for Hugo Chavez, I have received
> a series of verbally abusing private messages in my e-mail box by
> Michael Pugliese, then some one that calls himself "Autopletic", another
> one called Kelley and J M Hayes. There is another one I forget.
> Although, obviously, this ganging up private invasion of space has the
> purpose of intimidation, I doesn't do it to me one iota. However it does
> is annoying, and in spite that given the ideological flavor of a very
> active number of members I don't plan to participate much in the list,
> I'd still like to suggest the owner to protect the private e-mail
> addresses of the members (as other lists do) so as to minimize the
> unwelcome concerted incursions of aggressive zealots.

there's one trick you can do: subscribe with two addresses, say X and Y. visit the lbo-talk web page (http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/), login as X, (scroll to bottom) and set mail delivery to "disabled". now post all messages as X, but drop all email coming to X in your mailbox (you can setup filters in your mailreader to do that automatically).

this way, you can post to lbo (as X), read lbo (as Y), and drop all off-list responses (since they will be sent to X).

if you are really paranoid you can also login as Y and hide that subscription from the subscriber list.

another thing: autoplectic is one cool dude ;-) -- perhaps the one person on lbo (not to disparage others), other than michael perelman, from whom you (or at least i) can consistently learn something. kelley is a cool babe too, but sometimes i get afraid she might physically kick my butt. MP is a friendly chap though his onlist posts are downright unreadable (i suspect its intentional!). jordan... he seems to hate public transportation... so ok, go ahead flame the fellow!

;-)

--ravi