[lbo-talk] Jerry Lewis as worst-case scenario[wasRe:PrivateHateMail Gang Up]

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 09:01:15 PDT 2005

> Hmm, for a comedian your solemnity is impressive.

Clearly, you've not spent serious foxhole time with comedians. A sadder crowd you'd be pressed to top, and I doubt that you could. Problem is, many comics turn their sadness into anger and aggression, which is understandable to a degree (God knows I've had my physical rages), and can in fact help to create insightful, meaningful, hopefully innovative material. But too often comics fall in love with their pain, and this has turned a good number of them into empty, cynical assholes. (Oh, the post-show stories I could tell!) This, and my six-month stint in the LA scene, turned me off to the whole thing, though I've stayed in touch with some of those still working in the industry, and occasionally I'm asked to write for this or that. But for the most part, I have no use for that world.

> Well, like PBS with its eternal fundraising pleas, I'd like to make a
> pitch yet again for my man Emerson. [clip]

> Is that serious enough for you?

Quite so. Thanks.

Dennis