[lbo-talk] perfect cure for Katrina: vouchers!

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 10 11:14:41 PDT 2005

>New York Times - September 10, 2005
>
>G.O.P. Sees Opportunities Arising From Storm
>By EDMUND L. ANDREWS

[snip]

>But other changes are more ideological and more controversial. On Thursday,
>Mr. Bush issued an order that exempts federal contractors working on
>disaster relief projects from a longstanding federal requirement that they
>pay workers "prevailing wages," which are usually pegged to union pay
>rates.
>
>The exemption strikes at the heart of a requirement that labor unions and
>Democratic lawmakers have ferociously defended for years.
>
>"There are a lot of opportunities to experiment," said Mr. Snow, who
>jointed Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao and Secretary of Commerce Carlos
>Gutierrez in a rapid trip to highlight the administration's
>hurricane-relief operations.

It was before my time, but isn't this a classic Kissinger move? Take advantage of crisis and confusion to introduce a retrograde policy that would have been impossible before the crisis? It seems like crises also appeal to cynical manipulators...

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet has to offer. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.