[lbo-talk] Jerry Lewis as worst-case scenario

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 11 05:55:22 PDT 2005

>From: Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Well, like PBS with its eternal fundraising pleas, I'd like to make a
>>pitch yet again for my man Emerson. I don't think there's any question
>>that whatever democratic potential the USA had has been corrupted -- that
>>American individualism has devolved into a narcissism that has made
>>Americans atomized, selfish and frightened. I think the only long-term
>>solution to this problem is to abolish capitalism and whittle away
>>differences in wealth and income among all citizens to virtually nothing.
>>That change will require Americans to lose their solipsistic mindset. I
>>think Emerson, uniquely among all American writers, points the way --
>>encouraging people to look deeply within themselves, not to cultivate
>>further egotism but to recognize the profundity of their connection with
>>all humankind.
>
>I don't quite get this: we recognize and enact our connection with all
>humankind by actually interacting with people, not by solitary reflection.
>Only in a hyperindividualist culture like ours could we claim that our
>connection to others is a product of individual, independent, "deep"
>thought. --Emerson is a symptom of the (capitalist) disease, not the cure.

I don't think Emerson is calling for hermitic navel-gazing. He himself interacted with people constantly as one of the most popular, widely traveled lecturers of his age. I believe he is merely advising people to occasionally try to shut out the destructive, distracting noise of civilization -- notably, especially today, all the advertising and PR that describe selfish materialism as the natural state of human interaction. He's saying, look within yourself -- what is it that you *really* want? A life filled with dignity, free of being dominated and humiliated? A life filled with personal satisfaction, where you are free of excess drudgery and stress and able to exercise your natural gifts? These deepest yearnings of yours are aspirations that *all* people share. Society would be more harmonious in every way if it was structured so that all people, not just a few, could satisfy these needs.

I do not believe Emerson's thought is a symptom of capitalism. It is an Rx to end capitalism.

Carl