[lbo-talk] black metal etc

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 06:00:23 PDT 2005

> Michael Pug pointed me to an interesting piece by
> Kevin Coogan on
> Norwegian black metal and the broader youth
> subculture of fascism at
> <http://oraclesyndicate.twoday.net/stories/605560/>.
>
> Doug

Mark Ames wrote about these guys:

Black metal nation: What do Norwegian dirtheads and Richard Perle have in common?

By Mark Ames

Black Metal Nation Norwegian dirtheads and the Frum/Perle "End of the World" tour.

Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground By Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind Feral House, 405 pages, $18.95

An End to Evil: How to Win the War on Terror By David Frum and Richard Perle Random House, 304 pages, $29.95

My idea of a Norwegian was always some cheerless Social Democrat in a knit sweater whose greatest joy in life was comparing the price of beer in Prague (cheap) to the price of beer in Krakow (even cheaper). Then I read the just-released new edition of Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground, a cult classic that first appeared in 1998.

Dude. No, seriously. Du-hu-hude. All I can say is that Norway fuckiiin’ rocks!

Lords of Chaos chronicles the rise of Black Metal, Norway’s extremist contribution to the underground metal scene in the late 80s and early 90s. What made Black Metal so exceptional wasn’t just the speed and thrash of the music, the violence of the lyrics or the amount of corpse-paint that its death-obsessed members wore, but rather the number of real corpses and smoldering churches that the movement left behind.

The rise of the Black Metal movement in Norway is a case of humorless dirtheads taking a joke way too seriously. The joke was Satanic rock, which Lords of Chaos skillfully traces from its early origins in Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Coven (who transformed from performing black masses on stage to perpetrating the weepy hippie hit "One Tin Soldier") to metal’s second big wave in the early 80s and the rise of kitsch Satan-rockers Venom. To our modern eyes, Venom looks the spitting image of Spinal Tap during their Smell the Glove phase, but to dirtheads who didn’t know any better, Venom was the long-sought embodiment of evil. It was from the Venom branch of evil-metal that all of metal’s more violent, "evil" forms descended, including Black Metal.

Etc.

http://www.nypress.com/17/5/books/books.cfm

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

______________________________________________________ Yahoo! for Good Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter