[lbo-talk] liberals & fear

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 08:58:56 PDT 2005

On 9/10/05, Lionel Mandrake <brotherlyshove at yahoo.com> wrote:suit and tie types who used to afflict gay politics with endless worry over drag queens at parades.

I'm among millions who has benefitted from the Stonewall bar drag queens rioting which propelled dramatically forward a movement that had struggled since Mattachine Society and Daughters of Bilitus days in the 50's.Though I think that Mattachine Society founder, Harry Hay who knew his marxist ABC's, got lost later w/ the utopian hippie Radical Gay Faeries. (And I wonder why Arthur Evans, who wrote a good book on gay paganism, has turned into such a reactionary scold forever writing letters to the Bay Area Reporter upbraiding anyone to the left of the Log Cabin Club.)

The history of the Gay Liberation Front and Gay Activists Alliance, unfortunately, is largely unknown by the party circuit 20 somethings. See, "The Politics of Homosexuality, " by Toby Maratta.

But, Frank Kameny marching in suit and tie in front of the White House for gay rights, yrs. before Stonewall was brave.

-- Michael Pugliese