[lbo-talk] Two microeconomics questions, one selfish, one not

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Sep 11 13:50:09 PDT 2005

First, the non-selfish one: It's my impression that politically-involved leftist (is that a redundancy?) economists are a lot more interested in macroeconomics than in microeconomics. Is this true?

Now, the selfish one, which amounts to a request for help: A while back, I suggested that large retail chains have sufficient size to be able to experiment via infotech with pricing to determine values good enough to be useful for things such as price elasticity. I gave this more thought, and came up with a short piece about an interesting idea related to/derived from it--Michael Perelman might be interested in particular.

I'm going to blog it shortly, but before I make an ass of myself in public, would anyone more expert than myself (that is, most of you) in microeconomics give it a quick skim and see if I've said anything really stupid?

By the way, if anyone here also has detailed knowledge of the history of metallurgy, that person might look, too.

Thanks,

John A

see me fulminate at http://www.jzip.org/