[lbo-talk] black vote

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Sep 11 18:09:43 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org>

-Who gets to decide? If we are working together on some campaign, we work -together democratically. Outside of that specific campaign or event, why -the fuck do we as anarchists have to heed the goals of liberals?

Why indeed? If you don't believe in democracy, why should you ever pay attention to others' aspirations. Capitalists work with others as long as they agree with their goals, then withdraw their capital when there are disagreements.

Just as anarchists withdraw their individual labor when they have disagreements.

It's all about ignoring democratic decision of the collective in favor of continual individual choice as to whether to continue cooperation.

-That's just bullshit. Anarchists support democratic decision-making and -we practice what we preach. We get shit because we come across as a bit -too focused on process, but anarchists think that you should practice -what you preach. That's why we use democratic methods and criticize the -authoritarian groups such as the WWP which are the opposite of democratic.

In what way are anarchists democratic? They refuse to be constrained by democratic decisions of a group. If the group decides to prohibit property destruction, the anarchists (or at least your version of them) will ignore that democratic decision.

So where is the belief in democracy?

-Let me be more direct. Anarchists have the right to make decisions about -what they do as a movement, just as religious activists have a right to -control their movement. The same goes for the other movements. When we -work together, we work stuff out, but that doesn't mean that we are one -movement with the same goals.

Fair enough. Which is my original point that you don't believe in coordination of different groups. You want to build your individual network, which is your choice.

But my point is that you are ideologically opposed to building a more unified movement based on democratic decision-making.

It's not that I don't understand you, Chuck. I understand exactly what you are saying.

You just want to play Humpty-Dumpty and call individualism "democracy." Democracy is about the tyrrany of the majority (or supermajorities as determined by procedures.) As an anarchist, you are against coercion, even coercion voluntarily agreed upon by a unified movement. But don't call yourself in favor of democracy, while being opposed to being disciplined by decisions of the demos.

Nathan Newman