[lbo-talk] public transportation [was: Private Hate Mail Gang Up]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 12 09:39:18 PDT 2005

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Greyhound's so awful that one day, while riding the non-stop from Philly
> to Manhattan isle, I found myself sitting next to a sewer rat.

:-)

Someone on the list probably knows the details of Greyhound's history. As I vaguely remember it, first (in the 70s?) broke a strike, then purchased some other company, _then_ sold off its bus operations, so the Greyhound of today is no longer the same company even.

I rode Greyhound frequently (and over long distances) in the '50s and early '60s, and found it a very comfortable way to travel. Then a few years ago I took a Greyhound to Chicago, and seating arrangements had been radically changed, worse than airline seats even. A miserable trip -- cramped and acutly uncomfortably.

I wouldn't mind urine smell if they had the old roomy and comfortable seats! :-)

Carrol