[lbo-talk] public transportation [was: Private Hate Mail Gang Up]

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Sep 12 11:18:59 PDT 2005

Jordan Hayes

> I once rode a Greyhound from Tampa to San Diego, just for the hell of
> it. Next time, I'd ride a bike. Or walk.

This is just silly. That route takes 2.5 days and costs $179! You can fly Southwest for $109 with some planning, or $177 if you know a week in advance that you're going.

----------------------------------- Well, I agree it was silly, and altogether wretched, but it was not quite as silly as it sounds. First, this was 21 years ago, so Southwest wasn't the option it is now. Second, I had finished a job in Florida, and was in no real hurry to return to California; so, rather than flying, I thought I'd take my time and see a bit of the country that I was unfamiliar with - basically that part of the country Katrina recently visited. A bus seemed like just the thing. It wasn't.