[lbo-talk] The Vietnamese on the Gulf Coast: Like deja Vu allover again

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:18:37 PDT 2005

On Monday, September 12, 2005 11:28 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> "I'm back to where I started, only this time I have $1 million of
>> debt."
>>
>> U.S. storm turns Vietnamese into refugees once more
>
> Look on the bright side - this clears the coast for luxury waterfront
> developments! From today's NYT:
>
>> Brent Warr, who has been the mayor of Gulfport for two months,
>> has no doubt that his city will bounce back from Hurricane Katrina.
>> "Property values are going to skyrocket here," Mr. Warr said in an
>> interview. "All the unattractive stuff has been blown away. The
>> attractive stuff has been blown away, too, but we can rebuild that."

Historically, Santa Cruz's downtown shopping area is in the old riverbed, before the Army CoE came and built a levee (and turned a couple of small creeks into drainage channels for good measure). It *was* the "chinatown" of Santa Cruz. Now, if the levee ever gives, and it went over in 1982 when the local business scene downtown was still mostly... local, it would totally destroy a major piece of Santa Cruz's economy for a goodly period of time.

Would The Gap bail? (heh)... Would Urban(e) Outfitters take a hike?

It's slightly outside their target market as far as volume goes anyway, and a couple of bigboxes have pulled out over the years because someone at the corporate office in Des Moines(pulled from hat) doesn't like the way the spreadsheet has been trending for the last three quarters.

I say build the ritzy developments, make my highwater mark(day), punks.

On the Vietnamese community in California:

A few down at Moss Landing, south of Watsonville, and some others across the state had legal problems in their fishing businesses...

They didn't know what "fishing laws" were.

(and the Thai PMIs at Seagate would stare into the microwave to watch the popcorn pop. They thought hot dogs were a delicacy.)

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml