[lbo-talk] Train vs Plane

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 16:12:35 PDT 2005

Well, Jordan has a point about how big the U.S. is. But I disagree about the false romance of trains. Or, rather, the only reason it's false is because of the fact that trains right now are not that much more comfortable than planes and are unnecessarily slow.

I should be able to get on a bullet train from SF in the morning and get to NY the next morning. In a comfortable six seater/couchette, I should have myself a great day meeting people, chatting, reading a book, then have a great 8-hour sleep, and then arrive in New York fresh and rested.

I fly to NY fairly often and although the flight is six hours -- by the time I get to the airport, wait at the airport, board the plane, wait for takoff, land, get off the plane, get baggage, and get from the airport to the hote -- i have spent twelve hours travelling and it has all been EXCRUCIATING. And when I get to NY I am exhausted and irritated. Right now I pay 350 round trip on Jet Blue. But I would pay double that to do it comfortably on a train.

Joanna