[lbo-talk] NYC primary tomorrow

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Mon Sep 12 16:13:40 PDT 2005

Thanks very much John. I agree with everything you've said. Actually I was already planning to vote for Morgenthau and for Kris Glen, the latter with great enthusiasm. Everything I have heard about Morgenthau's opponent, Lesley whatshername, sounds dreadful, and there are a number of things I like about him.

And, I agree with all the objections that have been raised here to Bloomberg, on gay marriage (though I don't think he's a homophobe - just politically triangulating in a Clintonesque way), and horrible police conduct at the RNC and I could add many more of my own objections.

But my question is, which of these Democrats running against him would do a better job running the city? There's been little corruption in his administration, and everyone I know who follows the city mechanism closely agrees the thing is working pretty smoothly, even if they don't agree with every policy. That seems important in a time when the Heritage Foundation's ideas about government are almost mainstream, and we're seeing the horrific misery in New Orleans as the result. (I mean, important to those of us who do think there should be governments. I do respectfully acknowledge that not everyone on this list agrees.) It's perhaps not deeply important, but something. These opponents of his seem kind of small-time, somehow, like pathetic minor characters who would quickly be overwhelmed by the task of running such a large city, and might let us all run out of water in an emergency.

Still seeking a reason to vote for one of them and haven't heard one...

Liza