[lbo-talk] black vote

Lionel Mandrake brotherlyshove at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 16:25:55 PDT 2005

Kelley:

> > I predict the biggest 2008 GOTV among blacks in
> history. If you
> > thought the Black Caucus was pissed at Nader last
> election, if any
> > third party tries to get them to mobilize votes to
> a third party
> > candidate, he'll be more than cussed at.

Yoshie
> Most Black votes in the South don't count in the
> presidential
> election, so Democratic Party operatives don't
> bother to spend money
> to mobilize them either.

It is not simply the victims of the disaster itself who are likely to be mobilized.

> If anyone thinks that Democrats manage hurricanes
> better than
> Republicans, remember how FDR treated the Bonus Army
> veterans in
> 1935: <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/
> ErnestHemingwayWhoMurderedtheVets.pdf>.

This is going back too far to have any meaning at all. Much better to take a serious look at the ways in which this disaster would have/would not have been different had it been on Kerry's watch. Also at the ways the two parties have/have not aimed at preventing a disaster of this kind.

I am by no means an ABB-er, but I feel that so much of this owes to the Republican-specific problems with FEMA: inept cronies and funding cuts mainly. Certainly the Dems practice crony-ism, but they tend to at least look for qualified cronies.

I can't find too much in this regard online. I had hoped Nathan Newman would apply himself to this question since he is very keen on folks noting the chasm that separates the two parties.