[lbo-talk] NYC primary tomorrow

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Sep 12 17:55:58 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Liza Featherstone" <lfeather at panix.com> -Any reason I should vote for any of the people running in the NYC mayoral -primary? I think I pay pretty close attention to city politics but can't -figure it out. Most of them seem to talk the talk on housing and some other -issues, but some seem like corrupt hacks. All seem blindingly unremarkable -and possibly a bit dim. Am I missing something? -In re: Bloomberg, there are plenty of things I detest about him: chiefly, -being a tool of corporate interests. But doesn't the recent Hurricane -disaster show us that there is much to be said for government that functions -well and is neither corrupt nor racist? We do have that with Mike. He's also -neither sentimental, stupid, nor cheezy, which I admit I find pretty -compelling and unusual. I'm not planning on voting for him, but the fact -that I don't really dislike him is kind of demobilizing.

I'm sympathetic to the competency argument in favor of Bloomberg and at this point the debate may be academic-- with so many of the unions throwing in with Bloomberg, I'm not sure any Dem could pull off a win.

But I just can't vote for Bloomberg given his vetos of every decent piece of legislation coming out of the City Council. He vetoed requirements that city contractors offer benefits to domestic partners and the health care for Wal-Mart workers bill that just passed the council. And I know from experience that anticipated vetos by his office is stifling even more legislation that could be barreling out of the council.

We have a remarkably progressive City Council in NYC, but Bloomberg's presence is playing an incredibly stifling role.

And the silence of Bloomberg in the face of Bush's assaults on urban America and lack of funding for security in NYC is disgraceful. The largest city in the nation should be an advocate against Bush's anti-urban agenda and Bloomberg has failed in what should be his national role. He may make the local trains run on time-- and yes 311 is good -- but that's not enough.

So I'll be voting for Ferrer. He has a good solid progressive record and he will, if nothing else, not veto all the legislation that Bloomberg has. And I actually do like his strong commitment to affordable housing backed by an honest admission that it will take serious money from new taxes.

At the city level, housing is possibly my number one issue and Ferrer is taking the issue . Here's the summary of his platform on housing: http://www.ferrer2005.com/main.cfm?actionId=globalShowStaticContent&screenKey=engNews&htmlId=3402 As Mayor, Fernando Ferrer will target four goals for creating an affordable New York:

a.. Require that 30 percent of newly created units be set aside for moderate and low-income individuals in targeted "growth zones" -- and provide substantial financial incentives for developers to set aside an additional 20% of the units for affordable housing.

b.. Dedicate $8.5 billion over ten years for the development and preservation of 167,000 affordable housing units throughout the City.

c.. End tax giveaways to developers who refuse to include affordable housing in their new developments.

d.. Provide real Mayoral leadership in Albany and Washington, D.C. to fight for housing resources for New York. Nothing flashy but it's exactly what's needed.

So that's how my vote is going.

Nathan