[lbo-talk] "Move the goalposts, wingnuts!"

Lionel Mandrake brotherlyshove at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 19:23:02 PDT 2005

> Lionel Mandrake wrote:
>
> >Gosh, imagine what the radical right could have
> >accomplished had they set out with "questions that
> >could not be answered in advance."
>
> I was a very junior member of the radical right 35
> years ago. Believe
> me, we were marginal. We fantastized about undoing
> the Great Society
> and the New Deal and restoring Manchester liberalism
> to its rightful
> place in human affairs. We thought it was a doomed
> pursuit, but we
> kept the dream alive. We had no idea that our
> fantasies would become
> reality just 10 years later. But by then, I'd
> rejoined the losing
> team.
>
> Doug

As with a lot of the free-floating facetiousness on this board, I can only guess at the target here. Is it the foolish idea that the radical right's success owes to something other than its oligarch-friendly ideology? Like maybe strategy and tactics? Discipline? Certainly they'll have an easier time at grabbing power, but it doesn't explain the extent of the power they've grabbed nor the extent to which progressives have lost.