[lbo-talk] "Move the goalposts, wingnuts!

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Sep 13 12:41:07 PDT 2005

"Tom Walker timework :

Early in the Camp Casey occupation -- around August 11 or 12 -- there was a confrontation with police who told Sheehan and her supporters they had made their point and should move on. The cops massed and the demonstrators made plans for non-violent resistence. The arrests never came. Maybe the lawyers advised there was no law being violated or maybe the White House pr people advised that mass arrests would bring greater publicity to Sheehan.

-clip-

^^^^^^ CB: We just had a Camp Casey Detroit for 21 days 24/7. Some of the people from Camp Casey Crawford came through our camp in its last three days.

One of them told us that the Sheriff of the County where Crawford is would not arrest any of the campers after initially giving them all the laws that they had to obey. The sheriff remainded in friendly contact with the camp throughout. The sheriff threatened to arrest a county commissioner who in some way interfered with some of the crosses or something like that.

In Detroit, we didn't have a permit , but the Chief of Police's office allowed the camp to stay, although did not allow tents. Technically, the camp was in violation of some ordinances. When two rogue sergeants harassed the Camp, a lieutenant ordered them to stop.

Peace in !