[lbo-talk] "Move the goalposts, wingnuts!"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 13 13:35:55 PDT 2005

Tom Walker wrote:

>It seems to me that "disasters preparedness" is a fertile ground for
>popular mobilization in that emphasis needs to be on community
>resources and mobilization rather than on individuals and the state.

Something that seems promising, or at least attractive, in the current sitch is promoting the idea of popular planning of NO's recovery. The city elite wants to rebuild it as a gentrified Disneyland, with only the bare minimum of poor people necessary to bus dishes and drive cabs. But given the huge amounts of public money being spent there, it would be great to get the effort under democratic control. I know of some efforts to develop a people's plan for the Brooklyn waterfront (which is, of course, being ignored by the city), and Christian Parenti told me there's a community-based plan for San Francisco. Anyone know more about this?

Doug