[lbo-talk] Special eXile Hurricane Katrina Coverage!: Spot The House Negro

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 01:21:01 PDT 2005

The eXile Issye 221 Special eXile Hurricane Katrina Coverage!

Spot The House Negro

"There were two kinds of slaves, the house Negro and the field Negro. The house Negroes - they lived in the house with master, they dressed pretty good, they ate good because they ate his food - what he left. They lived in the attic or the basement, but still they lived near the master; and they loved the master more than the master loved himself. They would give their life to save the master's house - quicker than the master would. If the master said, 'We got a good house here,' the house Negro would say, 'Yeah, we got a good house here.' Whenever the master said 'we,' he said 'we.' That's how you can tell a house Negro."

Malcolm X, 1963

"Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice defended President Bush on Sunday against charges that the government's sluggish response to Hurricane Katrina showed racial insensitivity.

"'Nobody, especially the president, would have left people unattended on the basis of race,' the administration's highest-ranking black said as she toured damaged parts of her native Alabama."

"Rice Defends Bush's Katrina Response," AP, September 4, 2005

"If the master's house caught on fire, the house Negro would fight harder to put the blaze out than the master would. If the master got sick, the house Negro would say, 'What's the matter, boss, we sick?' We sick! He identified himself with his master, more than his master identified with himself. And if you came to the house Negro and said, 'Let's run away, let's escape, let's separate,' the house Negro would look at you and say, 'Man, you crazy. What you mean, separate? Where is there a better house than this? Where can I wear better clothes than this? Where can I eat better food than this?' That was that house Negro. In those days he was called a 'house n-word.' And that's what we call them today, because we've still got some house n-words running around here."

Malcolm X

"'I don't believe for one minute that anybody allowed people to suffer because they were African-Americans. I just don't believe it,' Rice said during a visit to her native Alabama to survey the damage.

"...'I am an African American. I am from Alabama. I can tell you that this response is not a response about color. This is a response about Americans helping Americans,' she said."

"New race row rattles relief drive for hurricane victims," AFP, Sept 4

"On that same plantation, there was the field Negro. ...The field Negro was beaten from morning to night; he lived in a shack, in a hut; he wore old, castoff clothes. He hated his master. I say he hated his master. When the master got sick, the field Negro prayed that he'd die. If someone came to the field Negro and said, 'Let's separate, let's run,' he didn't say, 'Where we going?' He'd say, 'Any place is better than here.'"

Malcolm X

"And, you know, it's been five days [waiting for federal help] because most of the people are black. ... with the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. ... We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way - and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us!...George Bush doesn't care about black people!"

Kayne West

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

______________________________________________________ Yahoo! for Good Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/