[lbo-talk] alternation

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 09:49:35 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>I alternate between thinking that the Bush admin's scheming to use vouchers
>and other right-wing faves in NO reconstruction is proof that they're lost
>in a bubble, dreaming, and that it's the liberals who are the ones lost in
>the bubble, dreaming, that the right has taken a fatal blow from Katrina.
>Which is it? Neither? Both?

There is reason for concern. Thomas Friedman, whom I consider an uber-bellwether of conventional thinking, has suddenly shifted from praising America as a global paradigm to finding "something troublingly self-indulgent and slothful about America today." To Friedman, the lesson posed by Katrina is clear: American society needs more "discipline." In particular, he thinks the US should model itself on Singapore. QED, what?

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/14/opinion/14friedman.html?hp>

Carl