[lbo-talk] "Move the goalposts, wingnuts!"

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Wed Sep 14 10:48:14 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote,

>3. Identify the inevitable sacrifices - or austerity measures that need to

>be made as a result of globalization, make sure that these are really

>necessary (rather than power grabbing pretexts) and distributed as equitably

>as possible, and provide a convincing explanation of these austerity

>measures.

That's what the shorter work time movement is about. It's not so much 'austerity' in the grey, oppressive tones that the term suggests, as conservation and joyful redistribution. The analysis embraces a critique of vulgar GDPism, an advanced understanding of the economics of labour productivity and pragmatism about who we see as potential allies. We are often dismissed by leftists as middle-class 'lifestyle' dillitantes.

Maybe, also, if the left took a more holistic and less stereotypical view of prayer, something could be learned. I don't literally pray myself but I think I understand what the point is and I try to do other things (called 'practice') that bring me to the same place.

The Sandwichman