[lbo-talk] Fw: BREAKING NEWS ALERT: Judge declares Pledge unconstitutional

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:17:50 PDT 2005

Terrible news. Just the same reaction I felt when gay marriage came into the headlines, but this is even worse. The gay marriage ban created serious hardships for many people. I am no fan of religion, but when I was in school no one really took the pledge seriously.

I believe that some people have come a long way in understanding gay marriage, but the long run success would have been faster if the GLB movement had done more to make alliances with unions, Black churches, and others. Probably better previous communication about hate crimes would have made the case for gay marriage more understandable for people.

Carroll is correct about insisting on better, broader organization efforts, although not many of us are very good at that sort of thing.

Symbolic politics is a dead end.