[lbo-talk] America's road to hell

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:39:55 PDT 2005

Doug quoted:
> Le Figaro - September 12, 2005
>
> Emmanuel Todd: The Specter of a Soviet-Style Crisis
>
> By Marie-Laure Germon and Alexis Lacroix
> Le Figaro
>
> According to this demographer, Hurricane Katrina
> has revealed the decline of the
> American system.

He is great, is not he? I dare to say, much better than Zizek who strikes me as too light headed and thin on substance. Todd is painfully materialistic but he does rely in his explanation on social behavior, whose manifestation he is sees in reproductive behavior rather than culture-schmulture stuff.

His _After the Empire : The Breakdown of the American Order_ is definitely worth reading, not to mention the 20 bucks it costs.

Wojtek