[lbo-talk] Re: BREAKING NEWS ALERT: Judge declares Pledge unconstitutional

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 15 07:34:53 PDT 2005

Dear List:

Jim writes:

> Leftists should be fighting against _all_ marriage
and not extending its "benefits."

I bet the color of the sky in your world is a pretty shade of turquoise.

As for the "benefits" of marriage, I presume you have never been married (surely you are not such a hypocrite as to be married and yet not want to share your privilege) nor been in a committed relationship where (to take an example from my own life) your partner is dying of AIDS and you are barred from visiting him.

The benefits of marriage are tangible (I removed the scare quotation marks you used since you seem to have little understanding of the actual benefits that do accrue through a civil/secular contract of marriage).

> It is a religious custom that is best left to the
churches, mosques and temples to decide

But it is also a secular phenomenon as well. There are some practical, pragmatic situations in life that arise where having a designated partner is vital to a person's well-being. Now if you want to call this marriage or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I really could care less. All I am seeking is equal treatment and protection under the law.

I would think that such treatment would be a goal of all leftists, but then "leftists" always have a way of surprising me.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister