[lbo-talk] America's road to hell

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 15 07:39:32 PDT 2005

Cmde Cox:
> P.S. Somewhere recently -- one one of these lists? -- I saw reference to
> the inability of u.s. troops in europe to defeat the germans except
> through overwhelming numerical superiority. Whenever they were in equal
> numbers, the Germans beat them. If so, the Road to Hell has deep
> origins.

Yeah, the Battle of the Bulge, where the US Army was routed by the German Panzer Army - which eventually run out of gas and surrended http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_cont.htm

Attrition warfare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_attrition has been the main military strategy of the US Army since the Civil War which the North won chiefly by attrition over tactically superior Southern forces, perfected it in Indian wars and then WW1, WW2, the cold war and Vietnam War - and it makes perfect sense when the country that wages such warfare is also the one that produced the bulk of the global GDP. But not only such days are over, but the enemy gained the new capacity to fight a war of attrition of its own - by launching "terrorist" attacks.

Wojtek