[lbo-talk] the other Times does Hitch v Galloway

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Sep 15 13:45:26 PDT 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Doug Henwood posted the Times (London) summary of the Hitchens Galloway debate:

> Once inside, Mr Galloway cleverly contrasted his opponent's past record of
> support for Palestinian fighters and opposition to the 1991 war in Iraq to
> his current pro-war stance.

I was wondering about that. I could have sworn Hitchens was against the 1991. (Wasn't it that was that occasioned his ringing denunciation of how the free press as a more efficient Pravda?) But when Jon Stewart interviewed him a couple of weeks ago, he said the problem in 1991 was that we didn't go further, that we didn't remove Saddam -- the standard neocon, Wolfowitz refrain. And he said it with such a serious mien and complete lack of cognitive dissonance that I questioned my own memory.

Is he dissociative?

Michael