[lbo-talk] Malaysia considers sending astronaut to the moon

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Sep 16 07:58:24 PDT 2005

People's Daily Online

Sci-Edu

August 27, 2005

Malaysia considers sending astronaut to the moon

Malaysia may send an astronaut to the moon by the year 2020 if the national space program proves successful, Malaysian Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation Jamaludin Jarjis said on Saturday.

"We must show to the world Malaysia can send its first astronaut to the International Outer Space Station. We must look at our capabilities," Jamaludin was quoted as saying by the Bernama news agency.

If the First Astronaut Program proceeds well, it will not be impossible to see a Malaysian setting foot on the moon, Jamaludin told reporters after launching the Astronaut Run on behalf of Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak.

Jamaludin said his ministry would forward the proposal on the lunar mission to the cabinet soon.

In line with a pact signed by Malaysia and Russia in August 2003, the latter will send Malaysia's first astronaut into space by the year 2007 as part of a scientific mission aboard the International Outer Space Station.

Thirty-one candidates Saturday took part in the Astronaut Run to complete a 3.5-kilometer run in 20 minutes at the Royal Malaysian Airforce base in Kuantan, capital city of the Pahang state.

They are among nearly 900 candidates who are undergoing a series of rigorous tests to be selected for the national space program.

Source: Xinhua

Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved