[lbo-talk] global warming & hurricanes

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 16 12:38:05 PDT 2005

---- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Chronicle of Higher Education - web daily - September 16, 2005
>
> Hurricanes Have Grown More Intense Since 1970, Researchers Say, and
> Global Warming Is a Prime Suspect

Ah but the right is on spin cycle already!

SUBJECT: Have you had any cases involving the levees in New Orleans?

QUESTION: Has your district defended any cases on behalf of the Army Corps of Engineers against claims brought by environmental groups seeking to block or otherwise impede the Corps' work on the levees protecting New Orleans? If so, please describe the case and the outcome of the litigation.

District: __________ Contact: _________ Telephone: ________

E-mail suggests government seeking to blame groups

By Jerry Mitchell jmitchell at clarionledger.com

E-mail

E-mail sent to various U.S. Attorney's offices:

Federal officials appear to be seeking proof to blame the flood of New Orleans on environmental groups, documents show.

The Clarion-Ledger has obtained a copy of an internal e-mail the U.S. Department of Justice sent out this week to various U.S. attorneys' offices: "Has your district defended any cases on behalf of the (U.S.) Army Corps of Engineers against claims brought by environmental groups seeking to block or otherwise impede the Corps work on the levees protecting New Orleans? If so, please describe the case and the outcome of the litigation."

Cynthia Magnuson, a spokeswoman for the Justice Department, said Thursday she couldn't comment "because it's an internal e-mail."

Shown a copy of the e-mail, David Bookbinder, senior attorney for Sierra Club, remarked, "Why are they (Bush administration officials) trying to smear us like this?"

The Sierra Club and other environmental groups had nothing to do with the flooding that resulted from Hurricane Katrina that killed hundreds, he said. "It's unfortunate that the Bush administration is trying to shift the blame to environmental groups. It doesn't surprise me at all." <http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050916/NEWS0110/509160369/1260>