[lbo-talk] Destroying "car culture"

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 16 16:38:00 PDT 2005

> > jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> >
> > >Why should driving my car
> > >be made as uncomfortable, expensive, inconvenient as possible for me
> Leigh?
>
> As the old saying goes, your freedom to move your hand ends where my nose
> begins.
>
> By the same logic, why should making profit and screwing up suckers who work
> for me and live around me be made as difficult and inconvenient for me,
> John?
>
> Wojtek

Is this an offer to provide me with transportation in a town with no public transportation or just so much static? If I can no longer ride my bike and I have no public transportation to use how am I supposed to get groceries, to work, to friends, etc. without a vehicle? I should just be penalized for the fact that I have fewer options than others?

I have a good friend with MS who also had to give up cycling. I guess we should just make using his car as "expensive, inconvenient, and uncomfortable as possible". Too fucking bad if he doesn't have other options?

I didn't build the shitty system that exists but I do live within it. I am a member of my cities Vision 20/20 planning committee. I worked hard to get a greenway built. I don't think the transportation network is particularly efficient or fair and I do what I can to improve it. At the same time I am aware that I work to maintain its current inadequacies just by using it. I don't think making working peoples current situation worse than it is now is a recipe for improving it however.

John Thornton