[lbo-talk] Global warming 'past the point of no return'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 16 16:41:10 PDT 2005

Gar Lipow wrote:

> You want to be careful on this. It ha been known for some time that a
> feedback mechanism has set in and a great deal of global warming has
> been locked in. But such cycles are not infinite. It is not
> neccesarily too late to stop global warming while we still have a
> fairly decent agricultural capability - if we start soon. The warmer
> the air temperature the more vapor capability, the more water in the
> air, the less in liquid form available for human use.

There is no evidence _at all_ that such a start will be made as long as capitalism is the dominant world social structure. That is, we have to assume that for at least another 50 years the "input" into global warming will continue to rise. It is simply beyond the capacity of capitalist states to maintain present rates of carbon production, let alone reduce those rates.

Carrol