[lbo-talk] Riverbend analyzes the Iraq draft constitution

JC Helary jch.helary at free.fr
Sat Sep 17 08:49:04 PDT 2005

> Now, I’m a practicing Muslim female. I believe in the principles
> and rules of Islam I practice- otherwise I wouldn’t be practicing
> them. The problem is not with Islam, the problem is with the dozens
> of interpretations of Islamic rules and principles.

You have similar interpretation problems if you are a male.

> may be interpreted in different ways. In Iraq we see this firsthand
> because we have ample example of varying Islamic interpretations
> from two neighbors- Iran and Saudi Arabia. Who will decide which
> religious rules and principles are the ones that shouldn’t be
> contradicted by the constitution?

Shi'a is not specific to Iran and Sunna is not specific to Saudi Arabia. Besides there as "sub"-types in both. There is an excellent paper about that in July issue of Le Monde Diplomatique.

"Les chiites écartelés entre Téhéran et Bagdad, par Ahmed Salamatian. Carte de Philippe Rekacewicz."

"Iran and Iraq: the limits on Shia power * by Ahmad Salamatian The recent election of hardliner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as president of Iran surprised the world. The victory of Ayatollah Sistani’s list in the Iraqi parliamentary election provoked fears of a Shia threat. The current debates within the Shia communities testify to great religious and political diversity."