[lbo-talk] Destroying "car culture"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 07:21:00 PDT 2005

It's a status symbol. My ex-girlfriend defines a middle-class Muscovite as "a Muscovite with a car." Practically nobody I know in Russia owns a car, and the ones that do make a point of carrying money with them at all times in case they have to pay a "fine" to the traffic cops.

BTW the quality of Russian-made automobiles has gone up considerably since Soviet days.