[lbo-talk] Contemporary forms of female self-objectification

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 18 09:50:19 PDT 2005

Marvin Gandall wrote:

>My wife brought the item to my attention. A much more muted and
>benign form of self-objectification is the tendency of many
>progressive feminists to wear lipstick, perfume, and dye their hair.
>Now I will quickly put on my helmet, because whenever Walker (yes,
>her first name) and I have chided left-wing women friends about
>this, the brickbats have quickly rained down on us. But in
>cyberspace, I feel safer, and it is an interesting question, no? And
>maybe one to pose to Ms. Levy.

Too late. I didn't detect any makeup on Ariel Levy - but sometimes an untrained observer can - but she's certainly not neglectful of her physical appearance. She was quite attractive and well-dressed at a bookstore appearance last week.

I don't get what's wrong with makeup. I think many men could do with paying a lot more attention to their physical appearance, in fact. It seems that one of the aspects of hetero male privilege is a complete lack of attention to appearance; straight guys can get away with a lot, which I think is a reflection of their dominance. Esp white guys.

Gossip bulletin: Amy Goodman is now wearing makeup.

>BTW, could you again provide the url of the radio station airing
>your show. You sure seem to have an array of interesting guests.

<http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html> is the archive; it's live on Thursdays, 5-6 PM, at <http://wbai.org>.

Doug