[lbo-talk] Contemporary forms of female self-objectification

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 18 19:24:11 PDT 2005

Doug wrote:

I don't get what's wrong with makeup. I think many men could do with paying a lot more attention to their physical appearance, in fact. It seems that one of the aspects of hetero male privilege is a complete lack of attention to appearance; straight guys can get away with a lot, which I think is a reflection of their dominance. Esp white guys.

Gossip bulletin: Amy Goodman is now wearing makeup. ******************

>From what I can determine, makeup, jewelry and so on--fashion in other
words--has been with the human race since at least the dawn of class society. Physical appearance is one thing. I'm all for physical activity. Sunscreen is my face cream of choice. The question is, as always: cui bono? Who benefits from enforcing a regime of class or sexist oriented fashion?

By limiting choice, the fashion industry and their allies in the employing class can dictate what is appropriate and/or sexually attractive dress. At times, this has included foot binding at others, scarring of the face or shaving the head or ultra-long fingernails or obesity or ultra-twigginess.

I think we should all try to be as beautiful as possible. That's great! That can increase one's self-esteem. Submitting to social norms dominated by the ruling class and its ideas of what is appropriate is where the loss of power comes about and the various neurotic forms of behavious associated with loss of that level of political power.

People should be able to dress the way they want to--with an emphasis on WHAT THEY WANT, not what they must conform to. Of course, I realize the necessities associated with wage-slavery must be taken into consideration. I'm not prejudiced against people who HAVE to wear suits. I feel sympathy for them.

Best, Mike B)

Gossip bulletin: Amy Goodman is now wearing makeup.

****************************************************************** "Only a tortoise knows where to bite another tortoise; if the crab tries, it only bites the shell."

A MOUTH SWEETER THAN SALT by Toyin Falola

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal