[lbo-talk] Hitchens/Galloway

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Sun Sep 18 21:36:24 PDT 2005

I finally watched the debate last night. Pretty much what I expected - worthless as far as learning anything, but great fun for the entertainment. I think what's bothering me the most about Hitchens is his ongoing self-congratulation about how he's standing with the Iraqi democrats, etc. but yet he never has a word to say about privatization, the use of Hussein's law regarding public sector trade unions, etc. He is almost never called on this hypocrisy, and Galloway did not really press this in the debate either. There was one moment though that touched on this, and it was interesting to see Hitchens' reaction. About 1:25 into the debate, when Galloway was answering Amy's questiona about withdrawal, he mentioned the privatization and the seeds. The camera then cut to Hitchens, and he was making a gesture that's sort of hard to describe. Kind of like a "who gives a shit" shrug. This was only on the cspan broadcast. I just checked the video on the DN site and the camera work is different, and it doesn't show Hitchens' reaction at that point. He of course did not comment on it in his response.