[lbo-talk] Contemporary forms of female self-objectification

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Sun Sep 18 22:33:16 PDT 2005

Dear John Adams,

> I'd have to review the thread to be sure, but you may have misread much of
> what was being said. I'm not sure anyone was trying to prescribe female
> behavior, other than the discussion of girls-gone-wild-style activity.

What on earth makes you think you or anyone here should prescribe against "girls-gone-wild-style activity". That's exactly what I meant.

I have no reason, based on what I've read here, to think those girls' reasons are unacceptable in some way. Having a great deal of experience of girls' representations of their own needs and interests, I have to ask whether you can think of boys/men's behaviour that might seem equally inexplicable from the outside. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean that it isn't important in context.

Catherine

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.