[lbo-talk] Contemporary forms of female self-objectification

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 19 05:48:17 PDT 2005

From: Catherine Driscoll <catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au>

> > I'd have to review the thread to be sure, but you may have misread much of
> > what was being said. I'm not sure anyone was trying to prescribe female
> > behavior, other than the discussion of girls-gone-wild-style activity.

> What on earth makes you think you or anyone here should prescribe against
> "girls-gone-wild-style activity". That's exactly what I meant.

I don't. I was agreeing with you on that part of the thread. That's why I said you might've misread _much_, but not all, of the thread.

> I have to ask whether you can
> think of boys/men's behaviour that might seem equally inexplicable from the outside.

Yes. I shake my head at myself and the people I know. Some of it is inexplicable from the inside.

One of the stresses which face men who take feminism seriously in a positive way is that some of our own behavior becomes inexplicable, and other of it becomes too explicable.

After I read _Against Our Will_, I had a very hard time for years making the first move in a relationship when it'd gone to a point where physical intimacy was indicated. I felt I needed explicit verbal permission. I know this frustrated some women, as they told me so--others liked that the first kiss quickly led to the first fuck. It was a worthwhile experience, and I got over it eventually, with the help of maturity and a wider encounter with feminism.