[lbo-talk] Putin: fact or fiction?

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 08:16:59 PDT 2005

In a short piece in the Guardian, theatre director David Farr refers to "Putin giving himself indemnity against prosecution for life," with parallels to Berlusconi, Bush and ... Julius Caesar (which he is directing). <http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,,1569512,00.html>

I am not aware of any such initiative, save for Putin's decision to grant Yeltsin immunity as an ex-President, which would probably apply to Putin after his exit from the scene in 2008.

Can the list's resident Russia experts confirm that this is what Farr is referring to? If so, Farr's understanding of the situation is worse than useless, and a letter to the Guardian may be in order ...

Simon

Last night when we went for pizza I only had one piece and I kicked in ten pounds. That's why I hate going out with those guys. How many pieces did you have? Well, ask yourself who didn't put money in? Right. That's how it always is with them.

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com