[lbo-talk] Contemporary forms of female self-objectification

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:03:42 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>... that old American pairing of puritanism and prurience - we veer from
>extreme to extreme, Billy Graham/Hugh Hefner

I think it's more a matter of veering from veneer to veneer -- America famously being the land of hucksters of every description. E.g., you yourself share Melville's cynical view of the saintly Emerson as being a mere "confidence-man," Mark Winsome. Billy and Hugh may have different lines, but they're two of a kind as classic American salesmen, their cardinal trait.

Carl